Friday, January 2, 2009

Thing #22: Media and Book Downloads

I have downloaded some of OPL's ebooks, audiobooks, videos, and Tumble Books in the past - when we added these collections to our library I practiced using each of them in order to be better able to help patrons with them. Working at the Information Desk and answering Webdesk emails I encounter quite a lot of patrons who have had problems getting their OverDrive books to work, but I can't remember very many problems with the MyLibraryDV and TumbleBooks collections. I would have thought that videos would be more problematic downloads than audios and eBooks, but apparently not so. For this exercise, and in honor of the upcoming Big Read, I checked out and dowloaded an audio version of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. Everything went smoothly - I was able to check out, download, and listen to the book within 15 minutes. Although eBooks are notorious for not having caught on as fast as many people in the library and publishing worlds expected, I do think that the OverDrive collection (and the MyLibraryDV and TumbleBooks collections) are necessary additions to the OPL's overall collection - it would be absurd for a library of our size not to be venturing into these areas.

No comments: