Friday, January 2, 2009

Thing #23: The End of the Beginning

It was fun learning about Flickr. I've gotten some more practice using Flickr by working with Joanne Ferguson Cavanaugh on uploading and tagging some of the OPL's digital images into the OPL's new official Flickr account - a project that was at least partly inspired by this O! What a Geek training program. Looking at all of the various image manipulators and generators was fun too. Wikis are a great tool, and one that has really caught on - and I don't mean just Wikipedia. Rollyo is a nice idea for a web tool, but I wish it worked better - you cannot limit it to searching part of a website and it misses an awful lot of stuff. Bloglines and LibraryThing I had used before and, although I can see why some people like them, I don't find them very appealing. Directories of blogs and podcasts, such asTechnorati and the Podcast Directory, I don't like much - they just seem like a jumble of links and it takes too much time to find anything good in them. Delicious, on the other hand, is my absolute favorite Web 2.0 tool - it has saved me so much time and effort when it comes to using the Web and bookmarking webpages and websites.

I learned a lot in this program. I discovered some new web tools and learned to use others that I had heard about but never used. Even with the tools that I already used I found it educational to have to write about them and explain why I do or do not like them. Aside from having to extend the original deadline the whole program went very smoothly and I have no complaints about its format. Of course, this program doesn't really end - the idea is for this to be the beginning or continuation of our exploration of Web 2.0 and Library 2.0 tools, not our last look at them. I do intend to keep exploring!

1 comment:

Deirdre said...

You've done a great job, congratulations on finishing. Keep on posting what you discover and learn about so the rest of us can learn.

It is partly due to your comments on delicious that I decided to really give that a try and keep on working with it.

Thanks