Saturday, September 27, 2008

Exercise #9: Finding Feeds

I actually don't find Topix, Syndic8, or Technorati very useful. Topix and Technorati just seem like jumbles of random links to me. I know they're not just random collections of links, but they're not really selected or edited either, and they feel like a mess to me. I'd much rather go to a handful of online news sources (BBC News, various online editions of newspapers, selected blogs) to keep up with what is going on in the world than use either of these sites. And if I want to search for websites on a given topic I'd much rather just go to a search engine and do a search for the subject than try to use Syndic8, which seems very clunky and awkward to me. Since, as I said below, I don't really like RSS readers, I don't have much use for a tool that only searches for sites that offer RSS feeds. At any rate, I find that the best way to discover new blogs and other websites is to follow links to them from sites that I already follow. It works for me.

No comments: